My favorite way to prepare shrimp is with garlic and lime. The combo is hard to beat, especially when you can’t fall back on the easy butter preparations when you’ve given up dairy. Over green beans, spaghetti squash, mashed potatoes or on their own, I just love them prepared this way. Either grilled or pan fried work fine!
1 lb shelled/deveined UNCOOKED shrimp
1/2 teaspoon fresh lime zest
1⁄3 teaspoon cumin (OR chili powder)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
3 cloves garlic, minced
- Take 1 lb shelled/deveined/uncooked shrimp, rinse and set aside to drain.
- Prepare marinade by mixing the rest of the ingredients in a small jar with lid. Shake well to combine.
- Add to bowl or food safe bag and let marinate for 15 minutes. Be aware that fish and seafood begin to cook as soon as they hit the lime juice. Don’t let them sit too long.
- Either skewer the shrimp for the BBQ using the marinade to brush them once or twice. Or cook them in a preheated (medium-high) nonstick heavy pan adding half the marinade to the pan with the shrimp.
- Cook for 2 minutes on each side, only until no longer translucent. Avoid rubbery shrimp by removing from heat as soon as they are cooked through, turning a bright pink.
- Serve and enjoy!