A great dish for prepping freezer dinners, this one is a winner…
1 1/2 cups short grain brown rice
2 1/2 cups chicken broth or vegetable stock
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder (optional, though a must in my house!)
- Preheat the oven to 375˚
- Place the olive oil, salt,and garlic powder into an approximate 8-inch round or square glass baking dish with heavy lid.**
- Bring the broth just to a boil and pour it into the baking dish over the oil, salt, and garlic powder. Stir to combine (careful, it’s hot!).
- Add rice to baking dish, stir to combine. Cover with lid.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour
- After 1 hour, remove cover and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve while warm or let cool and go to step 7.
- Using a measuring cup, separate the rice into measured servings and place in food safe container (I recommend glass that is small enough to not leave much air space). Add in other cooked foods such as chicken, fish, vegetable blends and cover. Alternately, you can put in freezer safe bags and zip after forcing the air out. Lay flat. Freeze for up to 3 months.
** If you double the recipe, double the size of the baking dish so the depth is roughly the same as this recipe.
Adapted from In The Kitchen with KP‘s oven baked rice avoiding aluminum and adding broth.